Published on October 3, 2013
There are hundreds of work-related injuries every year. Most of these injuries can ultimately be prevented. The following list encompasses a number of workplace safety tips:
- When lifting, keep your back straight and lift with your legs. Try to avoid twisting while lifting. Keep the object(s) close to your body. Make sure you have a clear path when walking (and lifting). Lift with both hands.
- If the object is too heavy to lift, get help.
- Take short breaks with repetitive movements.
- Change positions with repetitive postures.
- Do not climb a ladder that is not secure or wobbly.
- If walking on elevated platforms, roofs, or other higher level surfaces, make sure to stay focused.
- Always wear appropriate clothing and footwear when on the job site.
- Obey all safety signs.
- Always wear a hard hat if there is the potential for objects to fall.
- Be alert to potential hazards. As an example, cords and hoses are potential tripping hazards.
- Only use machines that you are trained and authorized to use.
- Do not take shortcuts. Follow all appropriate steps and rules.