Published on March 6, 2013
Prevent Low Back Pain
COUPON CODE: BACKREST10 – Use this coupon when shopping ObusForme.com and receive $10 off any Back Support
Low back pain is currently one of the top five reasons to visit a family physician. The following is a list of low back pain prevention strategies:
- Avoid prolonged standing and sitting as much as possible. If standing for longer durations is necessary, rest your foot up on a stool or ledge and keep rotating between feet. If you know that you will be on your feet for longer periods of time, wear shoes which are both comfortable and supportive.
- Maintain proper posture
- Use a back support when sitting (for example, the ObusForme Low Back Backrest Support)
- When lifting, keep your back straight and lift with your legs. Try to avoid twisting while lifting.
- If the object is too heavy to lift, get help.
- Strengthen core muscle groups. If symptoms occur, discontinue these exercises and speak to a regulated health professional (eg. Chiropractor, Physiotherapist)
- Perform low impact aerobic conditioning exercises. If symptoms occur, discontinue these exercises and speak to a regulated health professional (eg. Chiropractor, Physiotherapist)
- Try to sleep in the supine position (on your back facing up) if you can. If you can only sleep on your side, try placing a pillow between your knees. Ideal pillow options would be a body pillow, leg spacer, or a four-position pillow, as each will fit nicely between your knees.
- The process of finding a mattress that is right for you can often be challenging. In my experience, medium firm mattresses tend to be the best fit for most people.
- Wear low-heeled shoes
- Maintain/attain a healthy weight