Published on October 30, 2012
Many people are faced with inflammatory conditions such as osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, spinal degeneration and disc herniations. Research has recently shown that NSAIDs (Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug) such as Advil, ibuprofen and other cox inhibitors actually delay the healing process.
To conquer inflammation naturally, follow these easy tips:
- Do light aerobic activity for approximately 30 minutes a day.
- Eat berries which have high anti-oxidants in them (like blueberries!)
- Eat salmon and rainbow trout a few times per week as fish oil is a natural anti-inflammatory
- Drink at least 2 litres of fluids per day to promote excretion of by-products from inflammation and to help lubricate your joints.
- Stretch and do mobility exercises – motion is lotion!
- Sleep 7-8 hours a day and incorporate a power nap if you can. Sleep is what allows our bodies to heal and recover.
- Use Arnica or Traumeel creams which are plant based natural anti-inflammatory products.
- Swim or take hot baths to unload your joints as this increases blood flow. Swimming and water therapy increases blood flow by an approximate factor of 7.
- Take approximately 2000 international units of vitamin D per day to help maintain bone health and optimize your immune system.
- Stay away from eating night shade foods such as potatoes and tomatoes, high alkaline foods, and other refined foods that promote inflammation.