Published on August 12, 2012
COUPON CODE: BACKREST10 – Use this coupon when shopping ObusForme.com and receive $10 off any Back Support
Neck pain – like back pain – will affect 80% of the population. It is one of the number one reasons for work days lost. One of the lesser-known causes of neck pain is our increased usage and dependence on our wireless devices such as ipads, iphones & blackberries. These devices place excessive stress and strain on our necks as the majority of us are looking down while using them versus lifting them up and using them at eye level, or holding them at our ears when speaking into them.
The constant downward gaze and flexing of the neck or sideways hold of our head puts a great deal of pressure on the muscles, ligaments, tendons and nerves of the neck. Pressure of these structures will cause compression of discs and is a precursor to nerves becoming pinched, inflamed and/ or irritated. This can not only cause neck pain but more severe symptoms such as radiation up the back of the neck to the head or even down the arm. Many people actually suffer headaches that are simply a result of increased tension of the neck muscles. Using a therapy or compress can help with tension.
Follow These Posture Tips
To prevent neck pain, it is vital to remember these posture tips:
- Keep your chin up, chest out, & keep your core tight with your shoulders down and back.
- Avoid neck pain by making sure you take frequent breaks from your electronic devices.
- Look up often.
- Retract your chin to help activate the deep neck flexors which often become weak with poor posture and strengthen your mid-back muscles that help to hold your head up upright.
- Always try to visualize your head as a golf ball that is being balanced on a tee. Any prolonged head tilt will cause that ball to fall off so do your best to keep centred.
- Ensure your office chair properly supports your back. By combining an ObusForme Lowback and the ObusForme Seat you will create a complete ergonomic seating set.